According to authorities, carbon monoxide emergency calls are at their highest during the coldest days of winter because heating systems are working overtime. If you failed to be diligent with home gas safety tips, there is a very likely chance of inefficiency in the heating systems that can cause the emission of the dangerous gas carbon monoxide.
Since the heating season is in full swing, the Wakefield Municipal Gas and & Light Department is encouraging consumers to learn everything about natural gas. According to WMGLD General Manager Pete Dion, there are more than 6,000 residential and commercial customers in the community that are using natural gas for the heating system. Natural gas is considered safe when properly used. This means being responsible with proper safety measures when natural gas is used in appliances, furnaces and heaters.
In order to be gas safe, WMGLD advises customers to be more diligent when using gas appliances and heating systems.
- Gas stoves must always have a steady blue flame when operating correctly. However, decorative fire logs have flames that are usually yellow. This is an exception.
- Annual inspection is required for all gas appliances, furnaces, vents, chimneys, flues and gas lines. Inspection must only be carried out by qualified industry professionals.
- Areas around gas equipment and appliances must be clean and unblocked to ensure proper airflow.
- Manufacturer’s provide care and maintenance instructions that must be strictly followed.
- It pays to have a multipurpose fire extinguisher nearby.
- Children must not be allowed near gas appliances or gas pipes.
- Gas stoves must not be used for purposes other than cooking like heating the home when there is a power outage.
- Combustible materials must not be stored near gas appliances, furnaces and ventilation systems.
- If you smell gas inside the home, open windows and doors and leave the premises.
Safety is one of the important aspects of a happy family life meaning that homeowners must be extra diligent with home gas safety tips for their own protection. If the gas appliance is not working efficiently, call an authorized technician immediately to prevent the release of dangerous fumes.