Lead Concern Prompted Australia’s Chief Medical Officer To Issue Warning

According to the chief medical officer of Australia, it is still safe to use the drinking water at home. This announcement came after a national advisory was released on television five months ago. It was July of 2018 when the committee in charge of the health departments all over the federal, territory and state published a public announcement regarding the level of lead found among households. After the news, many contacted their plumber in Newcastle NSW to make sure that their drinking water is safe.

The announcement was made after an investigation done together by Australia’s water committee, National Health and Medical Research Council and NZ Ministry of Health. Based on the statement sent by the Environmental Health Standing Committee, measures should be taken carefully to make sure that people are not exposed to the lead that is found in the environment. This is usually coming from plumbing products that have been using the material which then dissolves into the water we drink.

It is unfortunate that there are still products in Australia that were made of lead when these products are clearly used in home drinking systems. As a warning, the committee announced that it is possible for lead to get into the water when the plumbing connects with plumbing made of brass or when the water is subjected to heat.

In the same statement, it was clarified that the water going to the homes as well as other structures is deemed to be safe. It is not very common for the lead level to become so high that it is harmful to the body just by consuming drinking water.

Households were therefore given warning regarding the use of tap water. According to experts, flushing should be done for 30 seconds before drinking tap water in order to remove the stagnant water first. This warning was sensationalized by the media that it blew over and became an urgent warning when it is clearly not.

This is why homeowners are calling plumber in Newcastle NSW because they are afraid to become victims of lead poisoning from drinking tap water. However, experts have already voiced their opinion on the matter and that tap water is safe to consumer.