You’ve done all the nightly rituals with your kid. You’ve tucked him in, read the book with him, and kissed him good night. Now, the only thing left for you to do is to get yourself to your own bed and sleep. However, there may be a problem with that, especially when your child is not that all used to sleeping alone. You may have tucked him in and he may have slept at first but if he isn’t used to by himself, he would come creeping into your room and come up with excuses. As a parent, it would be difficult to say no. Who could ever turn down the chance to sleep beside their child? But if you plan on teaching your child a little lesson about independence and growth, you would need to do something about this teensy little problem.
Since rejecting your child would be a bad move, there are still other things you can do to get him to stay in his own bed.
- Make his/her room more inviting. How can you do this? Simple! All you need to do is to decorate the room to however he wants. Use decors that are fit for your child’s age. You can also become adventurous when you let your kid pick a theme, such as a color he likes or a cartoon he loves to watch.
- Consider the bed. There are parents who move their children to larger twin single beds once they had graduated from the crib. However, kids beds may be more appropriate if you want to take things slow. Remember, the size of the bed may overwhelm your child so it would be better to choose something that can fit his size and age.
- Require your child to go to the bathroom before bed. This is important so that he doesn’t get up in the middle of the night just to pee.
- Don’t lie down with your child. Or if you do, make sure that this is just only for a brief time.
- Make your child understand that he has to sleep in his own room. Always remind him that he has his own room now and that there are privileges to having one.
- Say no and take him back. Do not be taken over by his crying or pleading. If you do, then your child wins. If you receive a nightly visitor, take him back immediately to his room without discussion.